Since we want to create the best possible list for the Web Startup Group community, to contribute to the list just make a comment below. (Furthermore, if you there is anything you’d like to see removed from the list, let us know, too.) 😉
For now, this list has been borrowed from the Studentstartup.com (cited at the bottom of the page), but will be completely overhauled and refined to fit our community, with the help of the community.
- Lean Startup Circle
- Five most important lessons
- Y Combinator
- Business Week
- Business 2.0
- Fast Company
- The Financial Times
- The New York Times Business
- Red Herring
- The Times of London Business
- Trizoko Biz Journal: Helping Your Business Change The Freakin’ World
- The Wall Street Journal ASIA
- The Wall Street Journal EUROPE
- The Wall Street Journal USA
- ZDnet Entrepreneurship News
- Standford Entrepreneurship Corner
Starting Your Business
- Inc’s Art of Writing A Business Plan
- Invention City
- MIT’s Aspiring Entrepreneur & Inventor’s Online Handbook
- SBA Business Plan Basics
Funding Your Business
- About the “DBA” Sole Proprietorship
- Entrepreneur.com Legal Section
- Tarrant County Assumed Names (d/b/a) Filing Information
- Department of Labor
- Internal Revenue Service
- Securities and Exchange Commission
- Small Business Administration
- US Patent and Trademark Office
Research Companies In Your Industry
Resources for Non-Business Majors
- Teaching Entrepreneurship to Engineering Students
- Entrepreneurship for Art Majors
- Life Sciences Entrepreneurship
- Branson, Richard. Losing My Virginity. This biography discusses how a young entrepreneur developed the Virgin empire of airlines, music companies, and other enterprises with the launch of a newspaper called “STUDENT.”
- DeGeorge, Gail. The Making of a Blockbuster: How Wayne Huizenga Built a Sports and Entertainment Empire from Trash, Grit, and Videotape. This biography profiles the lifelong entrepreneurial experiences of Huizenga as he built Waste Management and Blockbuster Video.
- Lowenstein, Roger. Buffett, The Making of an American Capitalist. Warren Buffett is the most successful long term investor in the United States and owner of two major Fort Worth companies, Acme Brick and Justin Boots. Read this profile of the entrepreneurial and financial challenges he overcame in creating Berkshire Hathaway.
- Marcus, Stanley. The Viewpoints of Stanley Marcus: A Ten-Year Perspective. This biography details the launch of Neiman Marcus stores, now owned by Fort Worth investment group, Texas Pacific.
- Schultz, Howard. Pour Your Heart Into It. This biography profiles the rise of Starbucks from one store in Seattle to more than 3,000 around the world.
- Welch, Jack. Straight From The Gut. As much a operations book as a biography, there is a reason that many companies have made this “required” reading by all members of management. Jack Welch is the former Chairman of General Electric.
- Young, Jeffrey S. iCon, Steve Jobs The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business. For all students toting an iPod around campus, read this story about the man behind Apple.
- Rickersten, Rick. BUYOUT, The Insider’s Guide to Buying Your Own Company.
- Bossidy, Larry and Charan, Ram. EXECUTION, The Discipline of Getting Things Done.
Organization and Time Management
- Covey, Stephen R. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
The content on this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license and originated from Startupstudent.com.